I have the following inside our live server:-
- we have SharePoint server 2013 with enterprise license.
- the SharePoint is installed inside windows server 2008 R2.
- we have our sql server 2008 R2 installed inside windows server 2008 R2.
now i have defined the following backup policies:-
- At the beginning of each day i take a site collection back up using
Backup-SPfor all our site collections.. so at the end of this stage we have 8 .bak files saved inside our file server(out side the SP server).
- I also take a farm back up using
now i though the above will be sufficient,, but as i read about seems if the face these problems, then my above policy will not be sufficient:-
if our database server breaks .
if our live SharePoint server breaks (hardware failure or OS failure), then i will not be able to benefit from the farm backup.. as if our SP server breaks , and we build a new VM and we install SharePoint server, then restoring the farm inside the new server will not work unless the new server have the same signature as per the damaged server..
so can anyone adivce on how i need to improve my backup policy ? to guarantee that i can bring our SharePoint data back in case the SharePoint , sql or both servers break (severe damage such as hardware failure or OS failure )? Thanks