I'm confused about SharePoint Solutions. Could you verify if my understanding is correct?
There are only 2 kinds of SharePoint Solutions:
Sandboxed Solutions: When a solution package is deployed to the solution store of a site collection, it is called a 'sandboxed solution'. (Source)
Farm Solutions: When a solution package is deployed to the farm's solution store, it is called a 'farm solution'. (Source)
Creating a Site Template always saves the site as a Sandboxed Solution (.wsp). Installing a Sandboxed Solution can be done using PowerShell commands:
A requirement to adding and installing the Site Template Solution (= Sandboxed Solution) requires the SharePoint Service "SharePoint Foundation Sandboxed Code Service" (SPUserCodeV4) to be active on at least 1 server.
It is not possible to add and activate the Site Template Solution without the Sandboxed Code Service being active on at least one server in the farm.
When a Sandboxed Solution is added, it can be found in the Site Collection Solution Gallery.
- Are there only 2 kinds of SharePoint Solutions?
- Does the SharePoint Foundation Sandboxed Code Service" (SPUserCodeV4) have to be active on at least one server in order to add and activate a sandboxed solution?
- On what server(s) should the SharePoint Foundation Sandboxed Code Service" (SPUserCodeV4) be active?
- Creating a Site Template using "Save Site as Template" always creates a Sandboxed Solution (.wsp). Never a Farm Solution.
- Is there a way for me to see what kind of solution I am dealing with based on the .wsp file?