I've been following Spence Harbar's guide for setting up a multi-tenant install of SharePoint 2013 in a testing environment.
I am following his 2010 Guide but replaced the Search Service script with the one from his SP 2013 Article.
We are using SQL Server 2014 installed on the same machine.
All servers are Windows Server 2012R2 fully patched. SharePoint is running SharePoint 2013 SP1
I can install the UPS Service Application and Proxy just fine. My issue starts to occur when I try to start the User Profile Synchronization Service (Using the script from http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010mt5.aspx). The service starts then stops. I have ULS log messages below.
Now, everywhere I've read points to permissions being an issue. I've done the following and ensured the following:
- Farm account running as local admin on SP server
- Farm account have local logon rights (also verified by logging into the server as the farm)
- Farm user mapped to DBO for the Sync DB (I'm creating the UPS App as the farm user so this is already done, just for the record if I click on properties for the Sync DB dbo user it shows my farm user under Logon Name)
- Attempted to create the UPS via the CA, same issue
- Completely uninstalled SharePoint 2013, reinstalled and manually configured from Spence's guide, issue still occured.
- Cleared SP cache
- Manually starting FIM Sync service (This errors, more on this below)
- No warnings or errors logged in the event log as the service is listed as Starting..
- The farm account has Replicating Directory Changes on the whole domain.
- My SQL server does not have a named instance. But I tried to make an SQL alias anyway
- I discovered the 2012 Native SQL client installed but I removed it when I reinstalled SP2013 so that it relies on the 2008R2 Native SQL client.
- Time is in sync on all servers.
- Completely removed the UPS Application & Proxy countless times (Probably over 10-15+ times)
- Rebooted the server countless times
- Added the remote execute permissions and whatnot in the COM+ DTC for MIIS
My symptoms are similar to this post in that I've tried all these things yet it's still not working: User Profile Service will not Start
In the ULS once the UPS is provisioning I find:
ILM Configuration: Configuring database ILM Configuration: Error 'ERR_CONFIG_DB'. UserProfileApplication.SynchronizeMIIS: Failed to configure MIIS post database, will attempt during next rerun. Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: ERR_CONFIG_DB at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.Synchronization.ILMPostSetupConfiguration.ValidateConfigurationResult(UInt32 result) at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.Synchronization.ILMPostSetupConfiguration.ConfigureMiisStage2() at Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.UserProfileApplication.SetupSynchronizationService(ProfileSynchronizationServiceInstance profileSyncInstance).
I saw this error on Spence's other article on the User Profile Service errors, and he alluded to the farm user not having the DBO schema. I've ensured my farm user has the schema. I've even made my farm user a sysadmin and Domain Admin for the time being to troubleshoot.
Starting up the FIM Sync Service (as the farm account of course) in the Services console yields this in Event Viewer:
"BAIL: MMS(884): sql.cpp(2325): 0x80230404 (The operation failed because the attribute cannot be found) ERR: MMS(884): storeimp.cpp(5813): Failed to get computer id info from db. BAIL: MMS(884): storeimp.cpp(5815): 0x80230447 (Service start up has failed. Cannot read computer_id from the FIM Synchronization Service database.)
I started hunting for the
computer_id field in the Sync Database.
I found a table called
dbo.mms_server_configuration which has the field in there.
To my surprise the field is
NULL in my database. There is only one row in that table for me, and some other attributes are filled out but most are
The following fields have a value other than
Everything else is
Short of blowing away the whole server, reformatting, reinstalling SQL/SP2013 I am completely out of ideas. I've scoured the net and tried everything I've come across.
I'll also note that I did have
SharePoint Designer 2013 and
Visual Studio 2013 Pro installed on this server for some dev work. These packages are now uninstalled but I hope they haven't caused lasting damage.