I have a requirement where when user selects the headquarters and location the staff members for working there should be automatically populated where they can be nominated for a particular task. Can anyone suggest ways to achieve this? I am a beginner and any ideas would be reall helpful. Thanks.
You must setup your User Profile Service which will import all of your Active Directory entities into SharePoint. You can then create a web part which allows the end user to select from filters 'Headquarters' and 'Location' and then perform a query on the Imported user profiles:
In Central Admin:
- Make sure your service is started (UPS / UPS Sync Service under Manage Services on Server)
- Goto Manage Service Applications and click New 'User Profile Service Application'
- Once created, Under Synchronization click 'Configure Synchronization Connections'
- Do an IISRESET before you 'Create New Connection' or else you may get an error
- Ensure you have an account with Active Directory Read permission
- Enter your Forest Name and authorized AD account (you may need some help from an AD admin setting up permissions)
- Make sure to click populate containers and select the root or just the Users OU
- To Start the Sync click 'Start Profile Syncronization' and Select Full Sync. You should then see the Status change to 'Synchronizing'.
- Now you can 'Configure the Syncronization Timer Job' to run every Week or day depending on how often your AD is updated.
Give it some time and you will see the Number of User Profiles increase. Now, I suggest checking to see if the headquarters and location are stored in AD. You can confirm this by clicking 'Manage user properties'. If so, you can query the User profiles with these filters using UserProfileManager.