1

I desperately need some help on this guys, We have a 'Pages' library where we have saved all our custom web part pages.

Now, these pages (aspx) when invoked, connect to a web service that has some query stored and retrieve results from the external database. We have setup a Service in IIS for doing this, and everything works from the web front end servers.

But when trying to access the same from users machines, it gives out the error

"Unable to display this Web Part. To troubleshoot the problem, open this Web page in a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible HTML editor such as Microsoft SharePoint Designer. If the problem persists, contact your Web server administrator."

Now, looking into the ULS logs, i could see the folowing error as well,

"Error while executing web part: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SoapDataSource.GetResponseString(SoapCommand currentSoapCommand) at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SoapDataSource.ExecuteInternal(SoapCommand currentSoapCommand) at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.BaseXmlDataSource.Execute(String request) at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.BaseXmlDataSource.GetXmlDocument()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigatorInternal() at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigator() at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.GetXPathNavigator(String viewPath) at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.PrepareAndPerformTransform(Boolean bDeferExecuteTransform)"

I have looked for some solutions like putting the host file entries to point to the server itself. But nothing seems to work.

Could anyone please help, would really appreciate

  • Off the top of my head, smells like a double hop issue. Is your web service located on a different domain than your SharePoint aspx pages? If they are different (e.g. pages are at sharepoint.xyz and web service is at somethingelse.xyz) then your only option would be to move/install the web service in the same domain as SharePoint – Jared McGrath Apr 24 '14 at 5:04
  • Thanks Jared, I have set the kerberos authentication properly, as i checked and verified it. Now, both the web service and sharepoint pages are located in the same domain, but yes they are having different host header names eg: example.domain.com and example-svc.domain.com Now, this actually works in dev, but only happens when I have 2 WFE servers. Everything works from the local WFE servers though. I have only set the windows authentication enabled, rest of them are disabled. Also, verfied my loopback check is disabled. pls let me know if you got any other ideas mate.. – user25342 Apr 28 '14 at 1:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.