I am very new compare to experts here. I have read several articles and discuss forums. However I am worry there are some potential risk I cannot foresee. Could you give me some suggestion on the wb application architecture giving following condition?
- we are using SP2013 standard. 1,000 internal users. No public content.
- we will use the social feature (My site host), wiki, community site, project and team site template
- 500GB DB space will be assigned to My site host (each user 0.5GB). 500GB to the else.
- There will be 500 users at the beginning and another 500 will join gradually.
- Users will remove/create community, project and team site depends on their need.
Since there is no authentication concern, maybe I should go for single web application approach. However I concern the allocation of content databases.
One content DB have max size 200GB according to MS. If I setup one web application to My Site Host, create 3 content DB under that, and setup 0.5GB size quota, the grow is controllable and planned.
If I have single web application to all of different site collections, the growth of DB size is less-controllable. Let's say I created 6 content DBs under the web application. Since I cannot specific which site collection created on which DB, one of content DB hold 200 x My Site Host (100GB) and a forum unplanned. One day the forum is growing to 200GB size. During the maintenance the 200 My Site Host sites will be down as well...
I have searched on web and seldom discuss for similar situation. Originally I was planning for one web application for My Site Host and the 2nd web application for the else. But I am quite nervous something will not work due two separated app pool.
Please give me some idea. Also please let me know if I missed some existing feature that will help me come over above situation. Many thanks!