wish you save my life. I am now doing a sharepoint project but I have little experience.
- Design a contract creation/approval process for a company
- There are many kinds of contracts, can be grouped as Standard and non-standard. each contract has different workflow.
- The Standard contract is word document auto generated by some parameters (counter party name, effective date etc)
- The non-standard contract is word document uploaded by users, but users still need to set some parameters (counter party name etc), because we need these info in workflow
- After the users set parameters for standard contract (or set parameters and upload document for non-standard contract), the contract will trigger the corresponding workflow.
- When the workflow is approved, the final documents will appear in a library document.(for standard contract, the document is auto-generated, for non-standard, the document is uploaded by users)
- I can create word document by parameters with these steps: A. Create a document library with additional properties (like Counterparty name). B. Create a template for this library named template.docx. C. In word, Insert->Quick Parts->Document Property as placeholder for meta data. D. In Sharepoint designer-> Workflow Editor, add 'Create List Item' for this library, pass corresponding parameters, we are done auto generating word document. Refer to here
- I want to create a library 'Contracts' with many content types(like Standard A, Standard B, non-standard A, non-standard B), each content type will bind to corresponding workflow, for standard types, they also define a specific word template.
- When users create Standard contract, they are asked to input some parameters, after they submit, the workflow will run and generate a doc in this library.
- When users create non-standard contract, they are asked to input some parameters and upload the contract, after they submit, the workflow will run.
My problem: I was stuck in step 3 above.
- How do users create a standard contract without uploading a file in a document library? (the file is generated after workflow)
- Or do you have better design solutions? (It might be possible by using a separate library for final documents, but that is my last option)
Much appreciate to your ideas