I have an existing list with many items. I have created a doc library with the same columns as the list and associated a template with the library. I created a workflow to pull items from the list and create a new document in the library - HOWEVER, when opening the document, it appears blank, not in the template. If I click "new" in the doc library, the correct template opens and I can create a new document properly. I do not want to do this for the 500 list items.
tl;dr How can I import a list to a doc library so that the documents can be printed using a template?
edited to add: I'm using SharePoint 2007 and Word 2010.
This was ugly, but this is what I ended up doing:
- Download List to Excel file, save to local drive
- open previously-created template in Word
- run mail merge wizard, using the Excel file as source
- Do not insert any mail merge fields
- Use split merge tool (found at http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm) and use ID (from excel list) as doc name
- save docs to local drive (you can also save to sharepoint folder location, but I had a huge number of documents and it would have been too slow)
- Copy to SharePoint doc lib folder (Actions > Open With Windows Explorer)
- after docs saved, go to doc lib, create a datasheet view with the same column order as the list and sort by Name (i.e., ID)
- create a calculated field in the list with the formula
=Text(ID,"0")and create a view that sorts by this field
- This is because the Name field is text, and thus the list field you sort by must also be text, otherwise the list will be 1, 2, 3, 4 and the library will be 1, 10, 2, 20, etc.
- Copy/paste from list datasheet view into doc lib datasheet view
- metadata cannot be edited within the document itself (doc properties okay), better to edit in the SharePoint view.