I have 6 fields that need to be displayed differently in list views. Normally, I would accomplish this by deploying a fldtypes_....xsl file to the hive. The problem here is that I cannot use farm solutions and I have no access to the hive. So I had to look for an alternative.
What I ended up doing was:
- Create an .xsl file in the style library that contains the template for my field
- Edit the XSL property of the list views with SPD to import my .xsl file and call the template for my custom fields
But this raises some issues:
- The performance takes quite a hit. When a page has been loaded and I revisit, everything is fine. But 10 minutes later it will take a long time again (I assume things need to be compiled or cached)
- I need to edit each view individually. So if my template needs to apply to a new field, I need to edit every single view I have out there to add a match for that field.
- If someone creates a new view in a list, I need to open it up in SPD to modify the XSL
So I was wondering if anyone out there has done something like this before? Are there any easier / more efficient / more manageable ways of achieving this?