SharePoint 2013 running on Windows Server 2008 R2, updated with the latest CUs (March, April, June, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/jj891062.aspx). All O.S. updates installed.
It's a new server, I installed SharePoint today, applied the CUs and started creating the farm (single server, with the database on a separate machine).
The distributed cache service keeps crashing with these errors:
Log Name: Application
Source: .NET Runtime
Date: 20/06/2013 17:45:32
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: Microsoft.ApplicationServer.Caching.DataCacheException
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 20/06/2013 17:45:33
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Faulting application name: DistributedCacheService.exe, version: 1.0.4632.0, time stamp: 0x4eafeccf
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18015, time stamp: 0x50b8479b
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000009e5d
Faulting process id: 0x1160
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce6dccc2c8252e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AppFabric 1.1 for Windows Server\DistributedCacheService.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 70ffbeef-d9c0-11e2-80ea-005056a002c5
Looking around, I found some posts dealing with the same issue, which seems to be caused by missing permissions:
This seems indeed to be my case, as I'm using distinct service accounts with no admin privileges for the application pools.
However, as others have noted in comments to those posts, the
WindowsFabricAllowedUsers group just isn't there, so I don't know what to do.
The problem is not related at all to the application pool service account. I destroyed the farm, uninstalled SharePoint from the server, re-installed it and re-created the farm, and upon accessing the Central Administration (without having configured anything yet), the distribute cache service still crashes with the same errors.
The problem is not caused by any SharePoint CU; I tried installing only the March CU, and then I tried again using the plain RTM release of SharePoint 2013: same behaviour.
Also, this doesn't help at all.