I'm totally stuck trying to get the User Profile Synchronization Service to run in a new SharePoint 2013 system. I've followed every possible guide and applied every known fix, but it's still unable to start. I really don't know what else to do.
- Single Active Directory domain; the NetBIOS name matches the first part of the domain FQDN.
- Test system: a single server running Windows Server 2012, SQL Server 2012, SharePoint 2013.
- WS 2012 is updated to latest patches; all system prerequisites are in place; SQL Server 2012 is updated to SP1; SP2013 is updated with the March 2013 update.
- SharePoint is configured to connect to the DB using the NetBIOS name of the server (NOT the FQDN); WINS is operational in the network.
- SharePoint is up and running, I can create and browse sites.
- The User Profile Service is also up and running; MySites works fine.
- The farm administrator account is in the local Administrators group on the test system.
- Network DTC access is enabled.
When I try to start the UPSS, it doesn't work. The main (repeated) error in the event log is the dreaded
.Net SqlClient Data Provider: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: HostId is not registered.
What I tried:
- Of course, I followed http://www.harbar.net/articles/sp2010ups.aspx.
- I restarted IIS and/or the whole server countless times.
- I rebuilt the server from scratch several times.
- I tried setting up SharePoint with or without using the Farm Configuration Wizard. No changes.
- I deleted and recreated the User Profile Service Application various times. No changes.
- I installed SP2013 with or without the March 2013 update. No changes.
- I tried adding the farm account to the Domain Admins group, as per Forefront Identity Manager errors when starting the SharePoint 2010 User Profile Synchronization Service Application. No changes.
- I cleared the SP cache and the certificate store, as per http://chrishattonnzlsp.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/hostid-is-not-registered-forefront-identity-manager. No changes.
- I verified the proxy settings for the farm account and for the system (
netsh winhttp); no proxy in use anywhere. I even checked the proxy logs, there are no connections at all from the SP server when the UPSS is trying to start.
I'm really stuck and don't know what else to do.