I'm using Sharepoint Foundation 2010. Alerts are working only if the users have permission level that has Delete Versions permission. I want users to be able to get alerts, but not delete past versions of a list item or document.
They should be able to get alerts just fine without those two permission levels. What you should do is create a new permission level with the ability to manage and edit the document, but without the ability to delete.
- Navigate to the site of the library at hand. If permissions are being inherited from a parent site, navigate there instead.
- Site Actions -> Site Permissions
- Permission Levels (in ribbon)
- Click the "Contribute" permission level
- Go down to the bottom of the page and click "Copy Permission Level"
- Name your new permission level. I chose "Contribute - NO DELETE"
- Delete the permissions "Delete Items" and "Delete Versions" and Click Submit.
- Reassign the users that you don't want to delete to this new permission level.