I'm trying to set up Outlook 2010's social connector to work with SharePoint 2010. While I can import SharePoint contacts, I can't get status updates to show in the People Pane. I've posted a similar note in various Microsoft forums and even have a paid-ticket open with them. I'm not getting too far. Maybe someone here can help?
Here's my configuration:
Server A: Win Server 2008 x64 w/SP2, Exchange 2010 x64, domain controller
Server B: Win Server 2008 x64 w/SP2, domain member, SQL Server 2008 R2, SharePoint 2010
Client: Win 7, domain member, with Office 2010 RTM (most every component installed, including the OSC)
I've added my domain users to a group. In SharePoint, I added that group to the Home Members group, giving my users Contribute permissions. Since then, I've also added a couple of users to the Home Group directly, and assigned the Design permission. As any of the domain users, I can use IE to log on the My Sites pages. From there, I can add lists, blog posts, status updates etc.
In Outlook, below a contact's picture I click Add and enter in my login details for my SharePoint account and it seems to work. I can add a SharePoint contact to my Contacts list. I can publish my Outlook calendar to SharePoint. But, all I see in the People Pane is emails my users have exchanged. I don't see any of the other SharePoint status updates.
When I try to use the "Add this person to My Sites" link to connect them with my SharePoint account, the process fails. Outlook briefly shows the blue "i" over the My Sites icon in the People Pane. During that time, the tooltip says it's waiting for confirmation from the SharePoint user. But, then it goes to a red-X with the tooltip saying "Error adding this person on My Site. Click for more options." Clicking gives me a "Try Again" button that likewise fails and a Cancel button, which removes the My Site icon altogether.
In SharePoint Central, I had an error message that the Activity Feed Timer Job was not running. That message directed me to create a claims-based site & site collection. I did. I enabled the Activity Feed Timer Job and manually ran it. No change on the client side. I still can't get status updates in Outlook. I restarted the SharePoint server and client, still no status updates.