We are currently facing the challenge to choose the most suitable base for our knowledge base in SharePoint. I don't know if we need a website with Microsoft/Office 365 groups link or a communication website. I have done some reading and am now much more confused.
The following sites can be created:
- Team site (with 365 group)
- Communication site
- Modern team site (without 365 group) can only be created via Admin Center
- Classic (Legacy)
The main difference is probably whether a Microsoft/Office 365 group is connected or not. However, I don't know if there are critical limitations if we use a communication/team site now.
We have the following requirements / we would like to use the following:
- Website pages as a base (we don't want to use word documents or anything like that)
- Everything should be structured with content types (all pages are in one library and are supplemented by metadata)
- Predefined filters shall be linked in the navigation to give the users an overview
- External customers should be allowed to view certain areas and specific individual elements
So what are the recommendations? What should be considered for the two different pages? What are your experiences? Are there any limitations or other stumbling blocks?