Both files with same name got saved. Only difference being that the newer one has the extension 'docx' instead of 'doc'. Can someone help please? I want the newer one to merge with the older one and exist as the latest version of the same file.
So this is a common issue.
Ensure that you actually have versioning turned on if you want to retain previous versions. It sound like you do have it enabled.
- open the new .DOCX file in the Word desktop App.
- Click ‘File’ —> ‘Save A Copy’. Keep the current name and select the .DOC file extension from the dropdown beneath the file name field.
- Next, ensure you have selected the same location as the file you are trying to overwrite/create a new version.
- After performing step 3, click ‘Save’ - you will be prompted as to whether you want to overwrite the existing file (which will create a new version). Respond in the affirmative.
- Upon success, delete the newer .DOCX file.
If you have the “Check-In / Check-Out” functionality enabled in this library, you will need to Check-Out the document in SharePoint before step 1 and perform a Check-In after step 4.