I changed a type of a Enhanced Rich Text column to Plain Text field.
I am seeing similar to the following content in the text field now.
<div class="ExternalClass3227FAEFAC38465BADF8165D56926D99"><p>This is used the text 16:50 </p></div>
I wrote C# program (with CSOM) to iterate through each list item and strip the html tags and set just the text. I used regex, to strip html tags as mentioned in this post. It does remove the html tags, but it doesnt remove the html characters within the text. I tried, FieldValueAsText and didnt work for me.
I would like to know what the correct way is to achieve this.