We are having SharePoint 2016 environment and since some time , not sure how long ago, we have a problem with one web application which cannot be crawled. Only for the site collections which are part of that particular web application we are getting this message :
"This item could not be crawled because the repository did not respond within the specified timeout period. Try to crawl the repository at a later time, or increase the timeout value on the Proxy and Timeout page in search administration. You might also want to crawl this repository during off-peak usage times.( SearchID = CF42662C-56A9-4B5D-B872-035186D6CADE )"
I saw dozens of asked question for this exactly same message but none of them have provided solutions that worked for us:
1.Changing the Timeout change value ( I have changed even up to 220s, no change ) 2.Changing the IE proxy settings with un-checking the Automatically detect Settings ( Lan Section) 3.Disabling the the Firewall
I have also tried to find something in the ULS logs for that particular search ID but I was not successful , I havent set verbose logging still , thats my last option if someone of you have no other idea what can be the problem. Nothing is different than the other web applications and their site collections judging by the setup of the search service accounts, the access of that search account over the content etc. We have noticed this problem after a customer complained that he cannot search items inside his created library.
Any proposal aside the already available ones which I have mentioned here can be helpful for me.