A user has encountered a curious issue when trying to upload a 3MB Excel file. There are already other files greater than 3MB is size, so that's not the issue.
The error code is as you see in the picture below, "Error 0x800700DE: The file type being saved or retrieved has been blocked". I found this error code on the SCCM Error Code Bible on page 39.
- I'd be surprised if we'd put in place some kind of file blocking setting.
- This is an Excel file in .xlsx format, it is not a macro.
- Other Excel files have been uploaded already.
- Perhaps there is something else within the file that Sharepoint wants to block? There is one link to another file on a file server contained in the file (I see this in Data/Connections/Edit Links in the Excel ribbon menu).
File Permissions (in Excel itself)
The file does have password protected worksheets - can this be a reason for upload being blocked? If so, where can I access these settings (I'm SP Admin)?
SP User Permissions
- The user has contribute permissions and has uploaded other files today.
- I'm the SP Admin and I also can not upload the file.
Other Links / Research
Suggested invalid characters in file name: see link here