In order to open the pdf from a client program, we need to verify a couple of things, so let's check one by one and after each section checking, verify whether pdf is getting opened from the client program.
Section: Verify internet explorer settings:
Follow the below steps from your Internet Explorer :
- Open Internet Explorer, and choose Tools > Manage Add-ons.
- Under Add-on Types, select Toolbars and Extensions.
- In the Show menu, select All Add-ons.
- In the list of add-ons, select Adobe PDF Reader.
- Click the Enable or Disable button (it toggles depending on the status of the selected add-on):
Enable sets the Adobe PDF Reader add-on to open PDFs in the browser.
Disable turns off the add-on so it does not open PDFs in the browser.
For details steps please refer the below article :
Display PDF in browser | Acrobat, Acrobat Reader
Section: Verify the setting from Central Administration:
And also verify the below setting from SharePoint central administration :
- In the SharePoint Central Administration site, click Application Management->Manage Web Applications, select the web application for the site.
- Click Authentication Providers, select default zone, and select Yes for "Enable Client Integration?"
Similar thread is discussed here :
SharePoint Search - Force pdf to open in Adobe
Section: Verify the site collection feature and document library settings:
Need to activate the Open Documents in Client Applications default feature from the site collection settings page.
Go to the document library advanced settings page, from there,
under the section called Opening Documents in the Browser you need to switch from “Open in the browser” to Open in the client application.