We have a group that wants to allow users to rename files in a library but not be able to delete files. Does anyone know the right settings for permission levels to enable this restriction? This is SharePoint/O365 Online.
You can create custom permission by
- Go to Site Settings
- Select Site Permission
- Select Permission Levels (from ribbon)
- Click Contribute (since this is the closest one based on your requirement)
- At the bottom, click 'Copy Permission Level'
- Give it a name, description then remove check from 'Delete Items'
- Click Create to Finish
- Update the SharePoint Group's Permission to this new Custom permission level