We just created a new Search Service Application and manually triggered the Full Crawl for a Web Application we want to crawl. The crawl completed under 2 minutes with 0 searchable items. The default SSA by SharePoint gets the same result as well hence we created a new one, hoping it'll resolve the issue.
In Central Admin, the crawl log recorded 1 error
- http://targetCrawlSite SharePoint failed to process this item. (Error from SharePoint site: Cannot complete this action. Please try again.)
In ULS Logs, I found 3 entries.
- Couldn't retrieve server (http://targetCrawlSite) policy [sts3util.cxx]
- STS3::StoredCachedError:Object initialization failed. Message: "Error from SharePoint site: Cannot complete this action. Please try again."
- The start address (http://targetCrawlSite) cannot be crawled. Context:Application 'My_SSA_Name', Catalog: 'Portal_Content' Details: SharePoint failed to process this item.
In Event Viewer, I found 2 entries.
- Content plugin can not be initialized - list of CSS addresses is not set
- The start address (http://targetCrawlSite) cannot be crawled. Context: Application ' My_SSA_Name', Catalog 'Portal_Content' Details: SharePoint failed to process this item.
What weird is that when I tried changing the crawl address to other web app (in the same farm). It finished with 40+ searchable items which is acceptable since it is just a very small web app anyway. The point here is that it was able to find items from that web application.
Other things I checked
- Crawl Account has 'Full Read' permission on both Web Application
- Crawl Account is in Local Admin group
- Crawl address specified is the 'Default' zone address
- SharePoint search related services both in Central Admin and server are in running state
- The main web app is using Windows authentication while the small web app uses Claims Based Authentication
Possible Cause (Difference between 2 web apps)
Alternate Access Mapping - main has 3 default zones while small web app has 1 default zone
Authentication Provider - main is using Windows(NTLM) while small web app uses Claims(NTLM)
Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.