Could just be Friday brain, but I'm not having any luck tracking down a potential cause or fix for this issue. I have a document library in my SharePoint 2013 server farm which has been behaving normally. It's a Document Center with some custom columns but everything's out of the box.
Today a user reported that a single file in this document library is returning "Something went wrong" when attempting to view Version History. I pulled the logs and they revealed:
Application error when access /_layouts/15/Versions.aspx, Error=Value cannot be null. Parameter name: termId at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.Internal.CommonUtilities.ConfirmNotNull(Guid value, String parameterName) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.TermStore.GetTerm(Guid termId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.TaxonomyField.TryGetWssIdsOfTerm(SPSite site, TermStore termStore, Guid termSet, Guid term, Int32 limit, List`1& itemIds) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.TaxonomyField.GetGuidOfWssId(SPSite site, Guid sspId, Int32 id, String& termId) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.TaxonomyFieldValue.get_TermGuid() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.TaxonomyFieldValue.ToString() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Taxonomy.TaxonomyFieldValueCollection.ToString() at ASP._layouts_15...
I've confirmed that Version History still works for other documents in this library, as well as downloaded and re-uploaded the file fresh and Version History worked then as well. My gut says it could just be a corrupted file, but I hate defaulting to that answer so I figured I'd check here before giving up.