I have been tasked to create a new development server to be installed in a server and in a VM. I am not too well informed with how to do this. is it better to install a new sharepoint server or can i do a full farm backup of the uat from the CA?
You can install SharePoint server on a VM, then do a full farm backup from UAT farm, and restore it in your development environment.
About setting up development environment, you can refer to the following article:
Set up a general development environment for SharePoint
I would first create the dev farm following a guide like this one:
And then using SQL Server Management Studio I would make backups of the UAT content databates and restore them to the dev SQL server. I would then drop any existing databases attached to the dev Web Applications ( by using Remove-SPContentDatabase); and then attach the restored databases (by using Mount-SPContentDatabase).
First, you have to install SharePoint on the development server. below are quick steps:
- Install SQL on Dev machine if you want to set up single-server farm
- Before Installing SharePoint you have to install its prerequisites.
- Then Install SharePoint server, Admin account thru which you are configuring the SP should have the permission db_owner permission.
- Build a Web application then either you can mount DB from the source server to target server or restore the backup file to the target server.
- configure services if required.