I have SharePoint 2010 farm and from this, I want to move some sites and site collections to SharePoint 2016 web application. In sp 2016 farm there is web application created with sp 2016 content database.
This move is called migration of sites. There are two ways to achieve this migration.
- Use the 3rd party tool which will directly migrate Sites/sitecollections from 2010 farm to SharePoint 2016. i.e. Sharegate, metalogix etc
- In 2nd method, you have to build a SharePoint 2013 farm in between SharePoint 2010 & sharePoint 2016. It is called database upgrade method.
- create SharePoint 2013 farm.
- Take the backup of SharePoint 2010 Databaste (which has all sites)
- restore it in SharePoint 2013, fully upgrade to Sharepoint 2013 level
- Now take the backup of database from SharePoint 2013 farm and Restore it SharePoint 2016
- Upgrade the restore DB to SP 2016.
- Now test the site collections