I want to show my document types .xls , .png, .doc etc. I did not find it to show. only shows a picture of them. But i want to group them by this type. How can i do that?
Melad's screen capture is for SharePoint Online's "modern UI" while f_gulay's screen capture is from an on-prem version, or from SharePoint Online using the "Classic UI".
To get the file type as text in the Classic UI / On-prem UI will require a workflow. (The file type text is part of the library's data, but not selectable from a View.)
- Create a new column in your library (Example: "File Extension").
- Create a SP 2010 or SP 2013 style workflow.
- Add a "Set Field in Current Item" Action.
- Set the "field" to your new column.
- Set the "value" to "Current Item:File Type".
- Set the workflow to start on Created and on Changed.
- Create a view that groups on your new column.
- Upload documents. (this will run the workflow on each new document.)