I'm trying to accomplish the following scenario :
- I have a content type named MyContentType
- It contains a column named MyColumn.
- MyContentType is hosted on a content types syndication hub ( /sites/hub )
- several other sites (/sites/a, /sites/b, /sites/c...) have subscribed to it through the Managed Metadata Service
Now here is what I'm trying to achieve : I want MyColumn to offer a choice of values to the end-user, either by being a Choice column or a Managed Metadata column (whatever works).
I'm facing issues in both cases:
- Option 1 : When I make MyColumn a Choice column, then the first publication propagates the choices fine, but later on if I add a choice to that column on the CT hub, then the choice does not appear on the subscriber sites. Even If I check "republish" and run the two required jobs ("Content Type Hub" and "Content Type Subscriber")
- Option 2 : In order to make MyColumn a Managed Metadata column, I proceed as follows :
- I created a /sites/shared site collection where I create a local term store containing the terms that will be used as values by MyColumn. I do not want to create that term store at Web App level, but strictly at site collection level (I have thousands of SharePoint sites to manage and I don't want to create term stores all over the place).
- I've added the URLs of /sites/hub, /sites/a, /sites/b... to the "site collections access" field of the term store group of /sites/Shared, so that they can all access the values
- But then when I try to publish the column, SharePoint shows me a message telling me that its values are stored on a site collection to which not all subscribers have access (SP therefore refuses to publish).
I feel like I'm in a dead end. What's the correct practice to propagate choice values to several site collections, but let me change them in only one location?