I have Sharepoint 2013 on-premises and our users have the following application installed inside their PC which they can use to sync with SharePoint lists:-
- OneDrive for Business which comes with Office 2013 & Office 2016
- the old version of OneDrive for Business, named SharePoint Workplace.
Now i have many sites and many list types such as:-
- Pages library.
- document library
- custom lists
- tracking lists
Now for all users the SYNC icon will not appear inside the SP UI, unless the user is inside a document library :-
so the first impression will be that we can only Sync document libraries. but here is the scenario our users are getting:-
- Users who are using SharePoint Workspace, can manually sync any list url as follow:-
- open the work-space application.
- Home >> New >> SharePoint workspace.
- type the url for a custom list or tracking list . and they can sync, created & edit custom list items using the SP workspace.
- but users with OneDrive for business, when they try to manually sync a cusotm list or tracking list (any list which are not a document library list) they will get this error:-
so can anyone adivce on these questions:-
why SP workspace allow to sync non-document library lists, while OneDrvie will only allow syncing document libraries?
why the SYNC icon will only appear in the SP UI, if the users are inside a document library?
- now seems creating items for custom lists or tracking lists using the SP workspace, can cause problem as the interface is totally different from the UI inside the create & edit aspx list forms.. so is it a normal behavior to set the "Offline Client Availability" option inside the lists to No for non-document library lists.. to avoid any problems??