I recently came across a post that said Microsoft is discontinuing the external public facing website on SharePoint and we'll have to use some third party app. I have to create a a public facing website for a client on SharePoint itself,what should i use?

2 Answers 2


It is correct that Microsoft have removed the SharePoint public sites. Instead they suggest to get a public website from a third part provider.

Right now they suggest either GoDaddy or WiX from the Office 365 admin center.

The official announcement from Microsoft states the following:

As part of the evolution of the Office 365 service, we periodically evaluate the capabilities of the service to make sure that we’re delivering the utmost value to customers. After careful consideration, we concluded that for public websites, Office 365 customers would be better served by third-party providers whose core competency is public websites. Therefore, we’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the SharePoint Online Public Website feature so that we can focus our efforts and investments on delivering capabilities in Office 365 that will bring more value to our customers.

Information about changes to the SharePoint Online Public Website feature in Office 365

  • so there actually no way to do that on sharepoint? what i think i need to do is create a web app on azure and host my website? Commented Oct 9, 2017 at 5:32
  • Good question but I unfortunate can't answer. I guess that the 2 providers have some special site for office 365 subscriptions but i'm not sure how it will work with several SharePoint services.
    – san
    Commented Oct 9, 2017 at 5:36
  • Yes, you could use an Azure Web App, but not SharePoint. If you MUST use SharePoint you have to install and license it separately and use a Publishing Site template. The licenses for Public/Anonymous access is totally different from the Office 365 or CAL based license model. Commented Oct 10, 2017 at 18:23

I think when you use on-prem you could still use it for a public site. I don't know about the licensing. There used to be a special license for an internet facing farm

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.