I am working on a sharepoint farm 2013 on-premises. and i am facing this conflict scenario which i am unable to understand. regarding the item level permissions.
- I have a site collection of type team site where everyone have read access.
- I created 2 sub-sites A & B. and they have unique permission.
- Now under sub-siteA i added 2 list; Custom List and Wiki pages library.
- Now i need to grant users from sub-siteB read permission on certain custom list items and certain wiki pages. without allowing sub-siteB members to view the other sub-siteA lists and libraries.
- so what i did is that i added the required custom list items and the wiki pages. For those items and pages i break their permission and i grant sub-siteB members group Read permission on the related items and pages.
- then i send an email containing links to these items (display form) and wiki pages (.aspx page).
- now sub-siteB members were able to view the wiki pages but for the list items they got the following error "Access Required". and to allow sub-siteB members to read the custom list items, i have to grant them Read permission on the list itself. unlike the wiki pages library where i was able to grant sub-siteB members Read permission on specific pages without having to grant them any permission on the wiki pages library itself.
now i did not find any documentation about these cases.. so can anyone adivce why sharepoint is treating the wiki pages and the custom list in different way when we break the permission on the item/page level as described in my above case/issue i am facing ?