I use content types to dynamically change which fields (columns) are initially displayed on the newform page. I am trying to have the fields change as the user is filling out the form. I was trying to use the Conditional Formatting feature on the newform page to hide fields based on user entry, but having no luck. Is this possible?
Yes you can, see the following post - http://www.sharepoint911.com/blogs/laura/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=676af157-7d96-4e15-a987-54b8a3e4d948&ID=3
if you don't want to hassle with SP designer - use this free tool - http://www.infowisesolutions.com/product.aspx?id=SmartListLite
You can do this via JQuery.
- Add JQuery to SharePoint.
- Create a custome new item form.
- Add a Form webpart.
- Open the custom new form in code view.
- In the you wish to hide give them IDs and hide them via inline styles if you need to like
- Use a JQuery script to attach events to the controls and hide and display the table rows you need to using the HTML visibility property.
I've used this approach on several occasions and is a great way to add color coding, display/hide fields, and add form validation in conjunction with PreSaveAction.