We got a requirement to migrate sharepoint 2013 servers from windows server 2008 to NEW windows server 2012. WE have one app server and one db server. Both servers have to be upgraded. We have workflows,customisations in master page and web.config files. Can someone give step by step implementation of the same, including the powershell commands. I am fairly new to sharepoint administration.
this is not an easy task, If you have one extra server then it will be easy.
- Install SharePoint on new server, Apply customization, update the web.config
- Join the server to the farm, now move all the service application and DNS to this server. Test it
- Now remove the old server from farm, uninstall sharepoint, upgrade the OS then re install the SharePoint and apply all customization and other changes.
- Test it. Now remove the 2nd server from farm. At this point you have your SharePoint server updgraded.
Otherwise here are the official guideline from MSFT.
To perform a full-version operating system upgrade on a SharePoint Server 2010 or SharePoint Server 2013 server, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the intended operating system is supported by the version of SharePoint that you are running.
- Detach the content databases from the SharePoint server.
- Uninstall SharePoint through Control Panel.
- Upgrade the operating system.
- Reinstall SharePoint.
- Configure all web applications, update web.config files, deploy customizations. Create and configure all service applications.
- Attach the content databases.