I have a list where user will have a form to submit (so i have to provide contribute access), but they should only view their own items(separate view i have) and cannot edit. Which permissions do i need to give?
Create a custom permission level by copying the
contribute permission level and remove
Edit items option.
To create a permission level
- Open the site collection site (the root site not a subsite)
- Go to site setting.
- below Users and Permission > Click on Site Permission.
- From the above ribbon, > click on permission level to be able to create a new permission level.
For more details check
- How to create a new SharePoint permissions level
- Configure custom permissions in SharePoint 2013
- Understanding permission levels in SharePoint
Alternative solution using Item level permission
For more details check How to enable Item Level Permissions in SharePoint
You can create your own permission level same as contribute, but without edit option.
Below is the link for reference. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263239.aspx