I haven't been a SharePoint developer for too long, I just sort of got assigned a new project in the company I work for and it's all built against SharePoint. I've noticed SharePoint designer has a huge number of quirks. Here are the ones I can name off the top of my head:
- Randomly adding a large number of
nbsp;into my code causing it not to run properly (This one took me a while to pin down)... Seriously, like 2 rows of just
nbsp;in one of my html elements.
- Randomly adding code into my master page when I click on it to edit with no explanation and I didn't even know what it did.
- Not allowing me to connect to my SharePoint site for the longest time, and then one day it just started working and I'm not sure why.
- SharePoint designer error highlighting highlights things in my .aspx page saying something along the lines of it being invalid html, but then I go ahead and use it anyways and it works fine.
- A glitch where if I tried to edit code that was bordering between advanced-mode-only code and editable code while not in at advanced mode would cause the entire page to become uneditable (I've since realized I should just turn advanced mode on.
I'm sure there are plenty more quirks where those came from. How can such a widely used platform have so many inexplicable quirks?