I am working on an enterprise wiki site collection inside an on-premise SharePoint enterprise server 2013.Now I want to add 2 cascading drop-down lists inside my enterprise wiki page layout. As follow:-
- First drop-down list named “company”.
- Second drop-down list named “department”
- Departments should be populated based on the selected company.
So can anyone advice which approach I can follow to have 2 cascading drop-down lists inside my enterprise wiki page layout?
Now I am thinking to implement something as follow:-
- Create 2 site columns of type drop-down lists with empty choices.
- Add these 2 site columns to my enterprise wiki page layout.
- Create 2 custom lists named “company” & “department”.
- Define a lookup column inside the department list which references the company list.
- Create a console application and schedule it to run each let say 10 minutes, which will add the items inside the company list as choices inside the “company” site column, and do the same for the department list and department site column.
Now in theory the above should achieve what I am looking for.. but can anyone advice if there is a more straightforward/simpler approach I can follow? And is my above approach a valid appraoch to go for?
Note:- now i can't use lookup columns in my case because if I define the two columns as lookup fields, then I will not be able to define these lookup columns inside my Managed Navigation settings for my wiki page library (
Page library >> settings >> Metadata navigation settings >> Configure Navigation Hierarchies ),, as Managed Navigation can only uses columns of type; content type, metadata & choice column,, but it does not allow to define lookup columns, as follow:-
here is another link which describe why i can not use lookup fields in my case How to setup Metadata Navigation to include Lookup field values?