One of the challenges i always face when adding a site column of type Choice, is how i can allow non-site admin users to be able to manage the Choice site column's Choices?
For example let say i create a new site column of type Choice named "Category" with choices such as "HR","IT","Finance". and later on we wanted to add new Category, currently only me as a site admin i can edit the site column and add the new choice. but i want to allow end users to be able to add/edit/remove choices without giving them any permission on the site level... one way i tried before is that I replaced the Choices site columns with lookup columns, but the problem i faced is that the lookup columns can not be used inside the lists' Metadata Navigation Settings , as the Metadata Navigation Settings for a list can only use columns of type Choice or managed metadata as mentioned here:-
so i need to keep using Choice site columns but at the same time to allow end users to manage their choices. so i find this appraoch but i did not test it :-
- for each site column of type Choice, to create a custom list for it.
- Users will be adding items inside the list, and these items will represent the choices for the related site column.
- then using a timer job or a scheduled console application, i can write some code which will retrieve all the list items and add them as a choices inside the related site column .
so can anyone adivce on these 2 points:-
- is my above proposed appraoch a valid way to follow?
- what are the options i can follow to allow non-site admin users to manage the site columns of type Choice ??
Thanks in advance for any help. Regards