I am a bit confused on how sharepoint 2013 server works with active directory Security Groups & distribution lists. now i am not expert in exchnage and active directory,, so my question is from the eyes of a sharepoint developer.
now i have created a test team site inside SP 2013, and inside the built-in SP "Members" groups i tried working with AD groups, in the following 3 approaches:-
we have an AD group named "our staff" with email address as follow "[email protected]". and this group have all our employees as members.
now when i add this AD group inside the SP group "Members" group, i got the following:-
all members of this group, will be granted access to the SP site. so when i check individual users permission (site setting>>site permission>>check permission), i can see that they became of the "members" group, through the AD group.
- when i chose to send an email to the "Members" group inside my workflow 2010 "send email" activity . the email will be sent to [email protected] and hence to all our employees. which is great.
- we have a couple of security groups named for example "domainname\sg-managers".
- now when i add this group to our "Members" SP group.
- then members of this security group will be granted access (same as in appraoch A).
- but if i chose to send an email to the "Members" group. then the domain\sg-managers will not get any email.
- when i click on this group inside the SP group i noticed that there is not any email assigned to it
finally we have some groups which is similar to "Our staff" group in which they have emails and members, but when i try to search for them inside the sharepoint Share dialog, i got this error
Sorry, you are not allowed to share this with external users.
so now i am trying to figure out what are the differences from sharepoint preservative between these 3 approaches.. now i think the first appraoch is the one i need to follow, as i am able to send email to all members + i can grant perms ion to all the group members. so can anyone adivce on how SharePoint is dealing with these different approaches? and why appraoch B & C did not work as expected?