With C# it s possible to create Webparts with Connection Provider and Connection Consumer. So you can exchange data between 2 Webparts on a page. Is this also possible with html and javascript?

Thank you for your Help.

2 Answers 2


One way to connect to web services is to use the Codeplex project SPServices which is (free to use and) entirely client side.

Project Description
SPServices is a jQuery library which abstracts SharePoint's Web Services and makes them easier to use. It also includes functions which use the various Web Service operations to provide more useful (and cool) capabilities. It works entirely client side and requires no server install.

  • Since SPServices is an (old) SOAP library originating from SP2007 days and the future (is now) is REST, I would look at the PnP Core JS Libary Microsoft built (with the community) github.com/SharePoint/PnP-JS-Core It is more in line with current Microsoft SPFx SharePoint Framework developments, note: PnPJS is not tied to SPFx, so you can use it in any REST scenario Jan 9, 2017 at 10:29
  • @Danny'365CSI'Engelman That's right! You should add that as an answer and you'll get my upvote! :)
    – Benny Skogberg
    Jan 9, 2017 at 10:33
  • 1
    Its not an answer to his question, actually no REST answer is. INpage JavaScript can let WebParts communicate to each other, all that C# stuff is just complex Postback stuff from ye'old days when Microsoft didn't use modern webstandards... (oh.. that was last year :-) Jan 9, 2017 at 10:53

for a backend (c#) you can if you need it. Its on msdn:


goes through:

"Creating an Interface", "Creating a Provider Web Part" and "Creating a Consumer Web Part"

the most important part is "ConnectionProviderAttribute Class" as its used in the provider and consumer class. Below is a more in-depth info on the class with another example.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.