We're using OneNote in our company and have a bunch of OneNote Documents which are saved in our SharePoint like this:
as you can see in the link, this specific OneNote Document was saved under "softwaredevelopment" - only members of the softwaredevelopment group have access to this folder.
Now I have a co-worker which isn't in the softwaredevelopment department but still needs access to this OneNote Document. So I share the OneNote Document with the co-worker and he gets an e-mail with a link he can use to open the document.
Now OneNoteOnline opens the document and it can be read and modified online by this user. If I want to open this document in the users OneNote Desktop App, it says he doesn't have permission to do this. The following is the error screenshot (unfortunately in german):
- I'm not the owner of this document, but I have permission to share it with my co-worker
- It also didn't work when I added the co-worker to the softwaredevelopment group
- the user uses the same account to login to sharepoint, onenote, office etc.
- Why is it possible to read and modify the document in OneNote Online but not in the Desktop app?
- Which permissions are used to grant access to the Documents? Is it sharepoint itself (like admins have access to everything, normal users not), or should it actually be a group permission like I described but didn't work?
- How do I get this Document into my co-workers OneNote Desktop App?
I'm not really a SharePoint Pro, so if I should tackle this whole thing in another way (like save the documents somewhere else) feel free to advise me to do it ;-).
Edit: Just so you know, this error doesn't occur only for one user or for one document, we have plenty of documents and users which can be edited online, but not in the desktop app