Hello and Merry Christmas too !
There is a lot of solution and way to do it. (Full DEV, Workflow, custom forms ....).
It depend of your skill ;)
- You can do that with a Workflow (created with SharePoint Designer or Visual Studio). But here the complicated task is to generate the PDF (i recommend to use Word Automation Service)
- You can DEV it. Use Visual Studio to create a dev solution for SharePoint.
Here are some ideas to implement your DEV solution:
For a Button :
- Create a custom Form (an application page witch is defined as form of your list or Content type) and add you asp:button with code behind logic.
How to generate PDF file :
- use Word Automation Service programmatically to generate your PDF
- Use extra DLL like : itextsharp
ps: Word Automation Service, is a sharepoint service, you can add it in Central Admin. You can convert word document in other format (like PDF)
Here some links to help you :
Create a Workflow to Archive Documents Using Word Automation Services
Convert Word file to PDF with REST and Word Automation Services
Using Word Automation Services in a Workflow custom activity for SP Designer Workflows
Converting Word Documents to PDF using Word Services
What you should know about Word Automation Services
Create Simple PDF File Using iTextSharp