I am a bit confused if I can have these working together:-
Inside SharePoint server 2013 and using sharepoint designer 2013, can I associate a SharePoint workflow-2010 with a Content type?
I have the following case, which I need to improve:-
- I have a team site collection, which contain a site template. and i am creating sub-sites using this site template.
- now inside the site template, i have many list workflows as follow:-
- now when I create a new sub-site based on the template, the new sub-site will have the list workflow created which is fine.
- but the limitation Ii am facing is that if we want to modify the workflow for all the lists. then I need to go to each sub-site and modify the related list workflow.
so I was thinking if I can associate the workflow with a site content type rather than associate with a list. so if I want to modify the workflow, iI will modify it from the content type level and have the effect on all the associated list content type and lists.
so i did the following as a test:-
- i open sharepoint designer 2013.
- i create a new sharepoint 2010 reusable workflow.
- save it , then publish it.
- i went to a content type inside sharepoint designer. click on "associate existing workflow", and i select the reusable workflow i just created:-
- final step inside the site setting page, i set to update all the content type as follow:-
so now based on my understanding, i should have the following:-
- a workflow associated with a site content type.
- and this workflow should be associated with all the list content types (based on step 5).
but i am facing this problem:-
- when i create/edit an item, the workflow will not work/fire.
- also when i went to the related list content type and i checked the related workflows, i can not see the reusable workflow i just added.
so can anyone adivce on this please?
side note i have read some articles which mentioned that associating a workflow with a content type is not a valid option in SP2013 as mentioned on this link for example. although in SP designer the options are there.
so can anyone adivce on this please? how i can define a workflow at the content type level, so all the lists which uses this content type will have the workflow ,, is this possible ?