I am working on a sharepoint 2013 enterprise server. and i added a new enterprise wiki site collection to it. now i did the following inside the new site collection:-
- I added 4 custom lists named; Dept,Area,Category & Priority.
- I added 4 lookup site columns to reference the above 4 custom lists.
- i edit the enterprise wiki page layout and i added the 4 custom lookup columns to it.
- so now each wiki page can be linked to these 4 lookup columns.
and everything worked fine.
but now i am trying to implement this permission settings:-
- to ONLY allow Site Approvers to be able to add new items inside the 4 custom lists; Dept,Area,Category & Priority.
- while to allow SiteMembers to be able to add/edit/delete wiki pages.
now i am confused on how to implement this permission settings. I tried this . Approach A :-
- i created a new sub-site named "Admin Section", and i moved the 4 custom lists to be under this sub-site.
- for the "Admin Section" sub-site. i define a unique permission for it . so only Site Approvers can add/edit/delete items.
- but the problem i faced is that the 4 site lookup columns will not be able to reference the 4 custom lists since they are defined on a sub-site unlike the 4 site columns which are defined on the root site..
other appraoch which worked for me. Approach B:-
- is that for the 4 custom lists. i stop inheriting permissions and define that only Approvers can add/edit/delete.
- in this way no need to create a new "admin section" sub-site. and the site columns can reference the 4 custom lists.
so can anyone adivce if i should proceed with my second appraoch ? or i should avoid breaking the inheritance on list level ...