I am working on a sharepoint on-premise 2013. and i am facing this problem , where my required site columns will be set as optional inside the list columns level when I added them to the list using content type. here is the full scenario:-
- I have a site collection of type Team Site.
- inside the site setting. I created three site columns
- Project Status. choice
- Project Owner.People or Group
- project type.choice.
- where I set these site columns as Required inside the create new column form.
- then inside the site, I created a new site Content type which have the built-in Issue as its parent.
- I add the three site columns to the new content type,where by default these columns were set a required on the site content type level.
- then I went to a subsite, I added a new Custom List, and I change its default content type from Item to the new content type.
The problem I am facing is as follow:-
- The three site columns were still set as required on the list content type level which is correct, But the PROBLEM is that the three required site columns were set as optional on the list columns level.
- This means if I enable Quick Edit grid for the list views, then users will be able to create new items, while leaving these 3 columns empty. because the Quick Edit grid will check if a column if required or not based on the column setting at the list column level and not at the list content type level.
- Also I am planning to save the subsite as template, and allow our customers to create new sub-sites based on the template. but seems this will create a problem as they will need to modify the columns and set them as required manually each time they create a new sub-site.
so can anyone advice why SharePoint is doing this strange behaviour. now I know that I can set the columns as Required inside the list columns level, or I can go to the columns at the site level and set them as required then chose to update the site column and apply the changes to all the related lists.. but my question is how I can preserve the Required setting for the site columns at the list level when I added the CT to the list?