disclaimer: I work for the company behind the product.
You can try the SysKit Insights, the product is FREE for single server SharePoint farms.
What we wanted to build is monitoring product for the SharePoint admins that is plug and play, so what you need to do is point it to the server and it will auto setupo it self and it will monitor only SharePoint important stuff.
We got a lot of complaints that people are using in house SCOM because they already have it, but they cannot extract anything interesting from the SCOM because it is too complicated or it has too much of the noise, not to mention setting up SCOM :-)
You can do the following stuff with it OOTB:
- Monitor the avaibility of Central admin
- Monitor the avaibility of desired site collection
- Monitor and quickly search Event Logs of the server
- Monitor and quickly search SQL Logs of the server
- Monitor and quickly search trace logs (ULS) of the server (we have built our own engine that has lighting fast search for large number of ULS events, also works for sql and server events)
- Check CPU,RAM, disk, network performance
- Alert you when any of the components is over threshold
- Tool is agent less so you don't need to deploy it on the SP farm
- Everything is centralized so if you have multiple farms, or single SP farm with a lot of servers everything is available in one console
Ping me directly for the free license :-)