I have a requirement to create a SharePoint 2016 plan for 5000 users and 30 TB data to be used, I need help with the approach for design and deployment. How many Windows servers and SQL servers would I need and how do i go about with the licencing.
it is not easy to give you exact answer, i would consider following things to design an environment
- How many concurrent user will use it.
- Do you need High Availability? then you need each server in pair expect Distributed Cache( no HA) and Workflow Manager( which is either 1 server or 3).
- you need dedicated servers for search service as you have 30TB of data which will be huge.
- Are you plan for Office Online Server?
I would go with
- 2 WFE
- 2 Application server with Distributed Cache role
- SQL Server with Always-ON, again number of servers depend upon the storage limitation.
- 2 Query and 2 Crawl Server ( you can change it)
- If using the OOS then a dedicate server for it.
SharePoint Server 2016 is required for each running instance of the software, and CALs are required for each person or device accessing a SharePoint Server.
. You can also think about the SharePoint Online ( Office 365) where you dont need to worry about the servers. You have to pay per user that's it, rest Microsoft will take care of back-end. What you have to do, just check the following Limitation and Boundaries.