I need to move our site collections from one server to another which have different AD and Domain, Please suggest any idea for better migration?
The different domain is not represented a big issue , where you should use the corresponding service accounts on the destination farm.
First of all, you should make sure that the SharePoint Build number of destination environment must be matched with the build number of the source environment, to make sure that check.
Take a backup of site collection from the old web application.
Backup-SPSite -Identity http://siteURL -Path "C:\\MoveSiteCollection.bak"
Create a new web application .
Restore backup in the new web application.
Restore-SPSite -Identity http://url -Path "C:\MoveSiteCollection.bak"
If you ensure that the content database have only this site collection you can use database-upgrade method as the following :
- In source farm, Take a backup of the content database via SQl management Studio.
- In destination farm , Create A web application , Site collection.
- In destination farm , Dismount the the web application content database , via this command
- In destination , via SQL Management Studio , Restore the content database.
- In destination , Mount it to the created web application,
Mount-SPContentDatabase "<ContentDb>" -DatabaseServer "<DbServer>" -WebApplication http://SiteName
- In destination farm, Change Site collection administrator to avoid the access permission issue. by going to site Setting > Site Collection Administrator > Set the site admin account in Dev.
For more details check Restore / Migrate a SharePoint Web Application to another farm from SQL Database Backup