I am going to install the September 2016 CU for SharePoint 2013 server this weekend. Do I first need to install the same CU for foundation or does the server CU cover it all?
This is the full server package for SharePoint Server 2013 and contains also the SharePoint Foundation 2013 fixes so you need only this package.
New since April 2015:
- You need to have SP1 installed!
Official link here
As @Ransher Singh mentioned , the full package of SharePoint Server CU will include the Foundation CU.
But I suggest to you to don't install Sept CU 2016 now ,it was launched a short time ago , no more people try it,
Meanwhile, you should check the following important points before applying CU
- Get a farm backup before applying CU, (you can't do CU rollback)
- Before applying the CU on production , Try to apply it on test farm.
- After installing CU , you should run the configuration wizard to apply this patch.
- Maks sure that at least the service pack 1 has been installed or above
- It's preferred to install the CU that will solve a specific issue in your farm, so check Improvements and issues that this cumulative update fixes section for CU.