i am facing a problem in understanding why some site columns got managed & crawl properties while the other do not. now when i check this further i found that only site columns which have data, will get managed properties created automatically when the crawl runs.
now i am facing this problem.
- I have a site collection named Depts.
- Inside this site collection i got 5 sub-sites;
"HR", "Finance", "IT", "Accounting","customer service".
Inside each sub-site. it got its own site collection site columns. for example the HR sub-site have site columns such as "HR Area", "HR Problem Manager", etc..
now i wanted to add a Content Search WebPart. which oversee the 5 sub sites and show items which have the related "Problem Manager" = login user.
- so i added a new Content Search webpart inside the site collection home page.
- then i wanted to reference the related "<<Dept Name>> Problem Manager" site column.
- the problem is that i have noted that only site columns which have data got a managed property under "central admin >> Manage services >> search service >> search schema". but i still want to referecne all the site columns inside my Content search web part. so when users add data the realted items shows inside the web part.
so now not sure how i can overcome these problems:-
how i can reference site columns which do not have data and thus do not have managed properties inside my "Content search web part"??
Now if manually creating the managed properties inside "central admin >> Manage services >> search service >> search schema" is the way to go . then how i can make sure that the crawl/managed property names are correct. because i got this example; i created a site column using the UI named "
Software Development Risk/Issue owner" ,, where the site column got the following internal name "
Software_x0020_Development_x0020_Risk_x002F_Issue_x0020_Owner", which is fine.. but its managed property name inside the search is "
SoftwareDevelopmentOWSUSER" . so seems when building the managed property the white spaces are going to be removed from the site column name + there will be some character truncating... so how i can build my managed properties for the columns that do not have data in this case !!