This is a complicated requirement that is driving me a bit crazy and I was hoping someone could help me find a solution.
I'm using SharePoint 2013.
Imagine 3 collaborators and 1 very important (I'll fire you if its wrong) person who reaps the benefit of the collaboration. I'll call them 'Drafter', 'Approver', 'Advisor' and 'VIP'
The rules are
- They work collaboratively on a single Word document in a document library
- Drafter, Approver and Advisor may edit the document
- Advisor tells VIP when the work is ready review
- Advisor can also suggest changes that Drafter and Approver would have to implement
- Drafter's work must always be approved by Approver before Advisor sees it
- Edits from anyone happen concurrently
The last 2 points are the tricky ones. It basically would work the same as a Pull Request in github where the document is branched, reviewed then merged back into master.
so instead of
it would work like
+v1---+v2---+v3---+v4 \ / ---------- <- Drafter's work isn't included until merged
I thought at first that I could send the document to a Document Site but it doesn't seem have any mechanism to merge back to the original document. From the Document Site using the command on the Document Ribbon I am able to Send the Document to the original Document Library but that squashes interim edits.
So I was wondering how to make this work and what the permissions would need to be for a group not to see pending stuff edited by others