Recently installed SharePoint 2010 and all my pdf documents which I uploaded are not having adobe acrobat icon. Since I am new to SharePoint someone please let me know what I have to install and configure iFilter in my SharePoint 2010? Thanks in advance!!
An iFilter isn't necessary to get the PDF icon displaying in your document libraries. The iFilter is used in the Search crawling process. You'll want to follow this TechNet article to set up the icon.
- Copy the .gif file that you want to use for the icon to the following folder on the server, as appropriate for your version of SharePoint: SharePoint Server 2010 - Drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\14\Template\Images
- Stop IIS at a command prompt by running IISReset /stop
- Edit the Docicon.xml file to include the .pdf extension. To do this, follow these steps: Start Notepad, and then open the Docicon.xml file. The Docicon.xml file is located in one of the following folder on the server: SharePoint Server 2010- Drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\14\Template\Xml
- Add an entry for the .pdf extension. For example, add a line that is
similar to the following to the Docicon.xml file, where
NameofIconFile is the name of the .gif file:
<Mapping Key="pdf" Value="NameofIconFile.gif"/>
- On the File menu, click Save, and then quit Notepad. Start IIS at a command prompt by running IISReset /start
step by step instructions can be found here
- Download: Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit for SharePoint 2010
- Download and extract the contents of "PDFiFilter64installer.zip" to your local drive.
- Double click "PDFFilter64installer.msi" to launch the installer.
Follow the instructions in the installer wizard to complete the installation.
Download the Adobe Icons from : Download Adobe Icon for SharePoint
If you don’t like the above icon, you can use the standard icon which comes with Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms
PDF iFilter 9 for 64-bit platforms icon
here is an article on Configure PDF iFilter 9 on SharePoint 2010 Server http://anuraggawande.blogspot.in/2012/10/how-to-configure-pdf-ifilter-on.html