First off, I've been scouring the posts here and elsewhere looking for a solution to this issue, and I appreciate any help. The closest I have found is here, but the answer was not followed-through. My apologies if this is a "obvious" question as I'm new to SP development and have recently inherited this farm from the previous admin. I am trying to add a new application server to the farm to facilitate search indexing as it has become too much to handle for the single server that currently comprises the farm.
The error message I am getting when adding the server (either through the wizard or powershell) is:
Connect-SPConfigurationDatabase : Failed to apply web.config modifications to file 'E:\Inetpub\SharePoint\VirtualDirectories\80\web.config'. Failed to apply a web.config modification to file 'E:\Inetpub\SharePoint\VirtualDirectories\80\web.config'. The specified node "configuration/system.webServer/staticContent" was not found in the web.config file.
I have checked the file, and this node is present and populated. Also, I have verified permissions for this account on the SQL server in case that matters. Both servers are on the June 2016 CU, and I have also made sure the passphrase is correct by changing it a few times. This caused a need to rebuild the cache so that has been completed, also. I'm not sure where to go from here.